BSE has two parts:
1) Oral exam (History of Music, Harmony, Theory of Musical Instruments, Musical Forms, Composition Analysis) in a form of a student´s talk followed with a discussion.
2) Practical exam of Voice education and Instrumental Study.
Ad 1) Oral Exam
- Song forms – chamber music in the early romanticism.
(Schubert, Schumann, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Smetana – songs and piano compositions)
- Sonata form – from Scarlatti to the Vienna classicism.
(Clementi, Dusík, Kuhlau, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Mysliveček – a movement in a sonata form)
- Symphonie – sonata cycle in an orchestral music. Programme music.
(Berlioz, Smetana, Dvořák – a part of a short score of a symphonic composition)
- Opera – the origin and the most important reformers – Monteverdi, Gluck, Wagner.
(An aria from a short score)
- The basic tectonics principles of music (repetition and contrast) and their explication in the forms of rondo and variations.
(Couperin – rondeau, Händel – ciacona, Mozart, Beethoven – rondo movements from sonatas, variations, Brahms)
- Fugue – the top of a counterpoint composition.
(Bach or other composers – a fugue)
- The development of dances – from Baroque suite to idealized dances.
(Bach – a dance movement from an English, French or German suite, Chopin – a valse or a mazurka, Smetana – a polka)
- Atonal music and serial music.
(Basic possibilities to work with a dodecaphony row, Schönberg – Fünf Orchesterstücke)
- Impressionism and its means of expression.
(Debussy, Novák, Suk)
- Concert – concerto grosso and solo concert.
(Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Čajkovskij)
(Prokofjev, Hindemith, Krejčí)
- Liturgical music – gregorian chant, a mass, protestant choral, choral prelude.
(Gregorian chant, liturgical song, part of an mass ordinarium, Mozart – Requiem, Smetana – Tábor, Blaník)
– student prepares to each theme a lecture in cca 10 minutes which is supplied with a practical illustration (vocal or instrumental).
– the most of musical material is possible to find in Herden, J.: Rozbor skladeb (Čítanka příkladů).
Ad 2) Practical Exam
Demonstration of instrumental (piano or violin) and vocal skills.
The program in the length of cca 10 min. is necessary to consult with teachers.