On the basis of hitherto unstudied archives material, especially that of the former Ministry of Cult and Instruction in Vienna, this study is supposed to throw light on the establishment and the first years of the Pedagogical Seminar of the Czech University in Prague after 1882, to make more precise the existing appraisal of organizational, pedagogical and scientific activities of F. A. Lindner (1828—1887) as the first head of the seminar and founder of the Czech bourgeois pedagogy as a science, and to bring the problems of training secondary school teachers and teachers in general into the respective contexts, as an example of the endeavours to link theory with practice.
More than a hundred-years-old tradition of reading lectures on pedagogy at Charles-Ferdinand University (after the Battle of the White Mountain) was institutionally consolidated in 1876 with the help of O. Willmann, professor of philosophy and pedagogy, in the form of a pedagogical seminar with German as the official language. A new Czech pedagogical seminar came into being with the division of the University into a Czech one and a German one in 1882, and G. A. Lindner, who had already become a prominent figure in pedagogy in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, was put in charge of this seminar.
The study evaluates individual statues and actual activities of the seminar, whose head and students published a volume of collected seminar papers as early as 1886.
Finally, the study appraises the scientific work of G. A. Lindner as striving for linking up theory with practice, seeking a ’’synthesis“ of the works of Comenius, Herbart, Diesterweg, Spencer, culminating in the posthumous University Textbook of Pedagogy based on the doctrine of natural, cultural and moral education (1888), marking actual beginnings of Czech bourgeois pedagogy as a science.
O. Willmann and G. A. Lindner were, besides other things, authors of important papers on teacher training.
The study is published together with a memorial volume of the department of pedagogy in the Faculty of Arts of Charles University in Prague, devoted to the centenary of the department’s existence.